Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Best Fresh Salsa in the World!






Yes, I do think this is the best fresh salsa in the world, and I'm not the only one ;-) I have spent many years changing and perfecting this until now I make it the same way every time. This is my own recipe, and makes enough for my husband and I (did I mention that my family really LOVES salsa?)


And here are today's players (I'm watching the BYU San Diego game right now)
Ro-tel original tomatoes and jalapeno's, fresh tomato, onion, cilantro, fresh jalapeno,
fresh lime juice and salt.



Start with the Ro-tel. Use your mini chopper or magic bullet for this. If you use a regular blender, be careful not to over blend it. ( start with the mushiest stuff first and build to the firmest on top)


I don't bottle salsa anymore because we love fresh so much more, so I bottle my tomatoes and jalapeno's (making my own Ro-tel) So if you want, you can use yours. The store baught Ro-tel is a little chunkier than mine though, so I use this for other things.

Add one or two fresh tomatoes. For this recipe, I don't like to use really ripe home grown tomatoes. They make it too sweet. I guess this is one of those FEW times where hard, mealy, tasteless store bought tomatoes work just fine. ;-)



...and about a half of a fresh jalapeno.
This part really depends on your ability to handle heat. Sometimes when they are growing in my garden, I add a fourth of a habeniero and that just about kills us (but we LOVE it!)
You could take the seeds out, or add less...


...but here is how I determine how much to put in. I cut off the end, then lick it. If I have to take a drink, I add a little less, if not, I add the whole thing. WARNING: I have a high heat tolerance!


Add a hand full (about 1/3 cup) cilantro. Can be more or less depending on how much you like cilantro. In a pinch, you can also use dried cilantro.
Squeeze a half of a fresh lime in there.



Add 1/4th of a small onion. Since the onions are raw, make sure it doesn't have too much green showing or a extra strong smell. I have had a couple of batches turn out too strong because of an "off" onion

Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt


As you can see, this puppy is pretty jam packed.


Here's what it looks like before I chop it up.


...and here it is after.
I just pulse a few times until it's the consistency I want.
If you're using a blender, be careful not to blend it too much. It get's foamy and isn't as good.


Here it is in all it's yummy-ness!

It's best eaten right away, but stays good for a couple of days.
I like it with Santias chips.


Fresh Salsa Recipe

1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
1 or 2 fresh tomatoes
handful cilantro
1/2 jalapeno
1/4 onion
juice of 1/2 fresh lime
1/2-1 teaspoon salt

Add the Ro-tel first, then roughly chop the other veggies and add to the chopper. Top with lime juice and salt. Pulse the chopper until it's finely chopped.
Enjoy!



1 comment:

s-n-m Glazier said...

looks yummy, Scott wants to try some the next BYU Game.